Thursday, February 13, 2014

Back to School...in February

Though there are so many differences that I notice on a daily basis, there are some experiences that are so similar to the U.S. it makes me feel as if I'm there. Back to school shopping is one of them. Whether or not a parent has money for new supplies the child wants a new brand-named backpack, cool shoes (that fit the uniform), and all new materials to be successful. I participated in back to school shopping with some family members and I was taken aback when I walked into a packed Payless store and felt as though I was in the U.S.

Teachers always talk about those students who aren't coming to class because of a lack of money for a uniform, rundown shoes, and a lack of materials. But there are also those who receive a new backpack every year like in the U.S. Kids enter the school year excited and with energy, teachers feel a bit rundown but are also full of new ideas for this coming year. After finishing almost a full week of school I'm exhausted but energized, excited to have started this year and have four new teachers to work with.

Working in two schools is also difficult because I'm always running from one school to the next and I feel like I'm missing out when I am in one place and not the other. Despite this, I believe I have chosen four great teachers who are excited to work with me and have set a tentative schedule that will keep me busy this year, just the way I'm used to in the U.S. We will have gardens at each school, science classes, working with student clubs, and much more over the span of the year. Though some days I feel nervous and unsure of myself, I feel lucky to be learning so much about this culture, life, and teaching. Here's to the academic school year of 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment