Thursday, January 30, 2014

The beans never fail us

As summer rolls to an end and I am preparing to start my first week at the school next week, I am reflecting upon this time I have had to integrate and really get to know my community. Many volunteers have told me how many books they have read, how many hikes they have been on, and how they watch a good American TV show when bored or if they just need a break. Simply by chance, my summer experience has not been the same. While I have good books to read, the ability to travel to go hiking, and my own stash of good movies, I am simply content sitting around chatting with my host family and neighbors. I feel as though I blend in well with Nicaraguan culture because I enjoy people’s company and the tranquil lifestyle of chatting at night. I hope that never ends even though my life will become a lot busier now that we are entering the school year.

A friend told me the other day, “los frijoles nunca nos fallan” which means “the beans never fail us.” I love this phrase because it speaks to the simple joys of the Nicaraguan life. For many Nicas, money comes and goes, as saving is not a common value to have in this culture. But nearly everyone finds a way to buy rice and beans. You could call it the basis of this society, but I think the real base is the community. If a family member is in trouble, doesn’t have food, or is just plain struggling, there is a whole network of people to provide help in whatever way they are able. When in a tough situation, you must go back to the basics, back to the beans, and back to the support of your family.

These communities work in amazing ways and cause me to criticize our individualistic society in the U.S. Is it really beneficial that we have a hands-off approach to family? In general, we fly the coop at 18 and return only a few times a year. It must be admitted that this way of living as neighbors with your entire family makes it hard to achieve certain educational and economic opportunities that are available. Yet there is something so beautiful about stopping by someone’s house just to say hi and chatting for the afternoon without the requirement of a phone call or advanced notice. What is truly important in our lives, the relationships we foster or economic success? Even when we have financial difficulties, the beans will never fail us, our relationships will always be there. Some say life is easier the more money you have, but I think once you pass the point of paying for your needs that statement becomes less true. It’s true, you no longer have to worry about paying for the basics, but what are you losing in the process of working long hours for a well-paying job? What are you gaining by buying a bunch of technological gadgets and spending hours fixated in using them? More importantly, what are you losing?

This is certainly not to say that life is perfectly peaceful here, free of any TV or people who keep their nose in their cell phones. However, there is definitely an appreciation of your neighbors, the relationships you have with your family, and the time that you dedicate to simply being with others. I don’t think this is an intentional part of this culture, but it is certainly one of the most positive aspects I have found in my five months here so far. I will surely continue to uncover the gems of this culture as I go along this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment