Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Capturing my Weeks in Photos

Elizabeth received a gift from Minnesota...
 
And has not put down her Brown Bear Brown Bear book (in Spanish of course) since she got it. If you take it from her, she cries. She sits staring at the pictures, kissing them, and gasping in surprise with each page turn.


Finally learning how to make enchiladas with the family

There actually is a technique to pressing the tortillas.

Throwing the tortillas in oil to be fried, of course I'm scared of burning myself!

Jaime, a cousin of my host siblings wanted to help

She's two years old and calls me tia (in English meaning aunt)

My host mom's mother-in-law comes to help every time because she has many years of practice

Happy little Elizabeth...the house is so quiet, sad, and boring when she's not around screaming, laughing, and stealing random items from my room.


At school we already got to pick the radishes (though the chickens did not leave many behind when they dug them up).

These girls are from the Environmental Club that I worked with this summer.





Digging a hole for a giant compost pile at my larger school.

I have to explain numerous times that both girls and boys will be working on this project and everyone will receive a grade. It's a big goal of mine to get them to erase from their minds the idea that only the bigger boys will be doing hard labor. Some of the little girls are the best workers!
 
Otherwise things are going well and I'm still getting used to my new schedule with teachers. These projects are keeping me busy but it's been a great start to the school year so far!

1 comment: