Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Thirst for More

I have now been in Nicaragua for six months which to me feels extremely surreal. When I compare time I have spent traveling or even in school with the time I’ve spent here it seems as though time has flown by. I spent five months in Chile and yet I felt that it was five full months (though I wasn’t necessarily ready to go home by the end). A semester of classes was full of ups and downs, difficulties and celebrations, enveloped in an academic community where life never slowed down. I am six months into my service and feel as though I’m just beginning. With classes starting and attempting to enter the classroom in a respectful way life still feels very slow and the work has yet to begin. Yet I can already declare that when I boarded that first plane in Brainerd, MN I had a very different perspective of my service than I carry today. It is incredible to think about how much I have changed in six months and what my thoughts will be after two years.

I attribute my success here so far to my host family, to my ability to slowly move into the community, and to a bit of luck that I got a great site for me. Everyone in the U.S. talks about how fast time passes, how busy everyone is with school or work or family commitments, how we never slow down and time seems to escape from us. Six months flies, one year is gone, and before you know it the kids are grown and you’re old (or so they tell me). What’s interesting is that I have passed the past three months at a slower pace, enjoying each day of summer vacation, teaching classes here and there, but mostly sitting in the porch and getting to know people. I cannot say that I never had a moment to think or to sit down, I cannot say I was working extra hard or my classes took so much energy, but I can say that time flew. This goes to show me how important time is because no matter how you spend it, it will pass quickly through your fingers. Nicaragua has taught me to enjoy the moments, the little things, how to not work myself into the ground like I am so used to in the U.S.

Here I appreciate people’s different perspectives, I take into account cultural differences, and I put a lot of effort into not judging before analyzing opinions. Becoming a teacher here has definitely made me appreciate the value of education even more than I had before, however. I thirst to know more, to learn another language, to contribute to the community and to society. I have spent time researching teaching methods and considering how I can improve my contribution to Nicaraguan schools. But this is not common here. People in general do not thirst to know more, parents do not want or have time to participate in school activities and committees. Education here is not for the sake of learning, it is for the sake of creating a literate society. Students do not know how to think but instead are taught what to think. At times I have been taken aback when I ask a question that requires more thinking than regurgitation to the class and all I receive in response are blank stares.

Realizing this makes me thankful for the education I have had and the support of parents who value education. Parents here value their childrens’ education on a level that they know it is important, yet any support more than that is difficult to find. It is time in Nicaragua to foster childrens’ natural curiosity, to help them think for themselves, and use their own strengths to be successful in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment