Thursday, September 12, 2013

Found: Coffee!!

First I guess I should start by saying that I made it through my first class this week. Though it wasn't perfect, I'm happy to have the first one under my belt and can only improve from here. I also didn't get to teach the activity that I wanted because we only had half of the block due to Independence Day activities. (A fact I didn't know when I started the class...) But, I now know more about my students and about how teaching goes, so when I teach my second class in two weeks I will fear more prepared.

The exciting news of the week is that we found a café with great coffee and free wifi with a purchase. YES!! My cappuccino even was in the shape of a bear! I'm jealous that their latte art is much better than my own. I needed to practice those skills more when I had the chance! On top of wonderful coffee, the service is great and we can maybe make some new friends. :) Woo!

It's amazing how something so small like a good conversation with a local and a cup of great coffee can  improve your mood. We've had lots of sessions on the challenges we are going to face over the next two years and the support that the Peace Corps offers. They take really great care of us, but just learning about the frustrations and challenges is wearing upon us all. But then a three year old host brother asks you to play with him, your host mom teaches you to make jewelry, or your students give you a hug when they see you and you know it's all worth it. Yes, we are going to be constantly challenged with things that are different, frustrating, difficult, and trying on our patience. Before coming to Nicaragua I met an older volunteer who was on vacation in the U.S. and serving in Africa. She said to me that each day you have to recommit to do your job and make a difference. Every day when you wake up you must remember why you joined the Peace Corps and reaffirm your goals. I have found this so true here even though I've only been here for one month and am still in training.

I know once I'm in site, the kids I teach are going to be the strongest motivator I have. They may also be a large source of frustration, but I am so excited to work with them over the next two years. Until then, I continue to reaffirm my goals each and every day and seek out those worthwhile moments. Lots of times, like a good cup of coffee, they come as a surprise just when you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment