Sunday, September 22, 2013

Escaping the Regiment


After a rough start to my trip, my week was full of eye opening moments and advice that made everything worth it. I stayed with a volunteer who is about to leave around the time that we begin our service. She was so helpful and encouraging.

As I arrived I was greeted by about five pigs in the front yard playing in the mud that covered every inch because of the rain. The volunteer lives in an apartment that she rents next to her “host mom.” It’s a pretty ideal situation because she has her own space to cook and live, but can interact with her host family when she wants to. She has five chickens, her own fridge and stove (not necessarily a given in Nicaragua), a hammock a pretty comfy cot that serves as a couch, and best of all a very plush bed. Most volunteers recommend that with your moving allowance you invest in a good bed. Many of those provided aren’t too comfortable and most volunteers find it a worthwhile investment for two years of peaceful sleeping. Oh the things you learn from current Peace Corps Volunteers (PCVs)…

Because of my transportation mishap, I arrived at around three o’clock on Monday afternoon. We mostly chatted, ate a late lunch, went shopping for vegetables at a local shop, and did what all Nicas do, sat around for hours and hours. From the moment I stepped off the bus the beauty and quaint nature of the town captured my attention. It was also wonderful to see that when we walked down the street many community members, including children, greeted the volunteer. That is the feel that I hope to have in my own community.

Her town sits in the northern part of Leon, one of the departments in Nicaragua. It is decently sized, though I have no idea what the actual population is. Nestled in the high hills, it is a warm city with a few farms on the outskirts and a river nearby. When I say warm I mean that Leon is known as one of the two hottest regions in Nicaragua. Luckily, it is the rainy season and I have yet to experience any extreme heat.

We had a lot of fun cooking (I was so happy to eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies!) and I simply enjoyed hearing about life as a volunteer. In the evening two sixth graders showed up at the door asking for help on their English homework. Really they were asking for the volunteer to translate their homework for them. Being a teacher, she sat them down, handed them a dictionary, and said “I will help you but I will not do your homework for you.” I was happy to see that she had become a resource for people within the community even outside of her classroom and traditional role as an Environmental volunteer. There is a lot more overlap between PC sectors than I ever thought before arriving in country. Most volunteers end up teaching or tutoring English somehow simply because it is needed within the community.

Tuesday brought more exploring because there were still no classes due to Independence Day break and even the library was closed so she did not have her normal youth group. We couldn’t even work on the stove project she had originally wanted to show me because she had lent her tools to the high school and it was also locked up for the vacation time. So we walked to her rural school, about a 20-minute walk outside of town getting to see more beautiful landscapes along the way. It is amazing how much time exploring, buying certain products, and simply chatting with a neighbor can take. This is the part of service where the volunteers have all the time in the world. That afternoon we baked and hauled bricks across town to prepare for the stove project we would work on the next day.

Wednesday we woke up early to head to the high school. The volunteer I stayed with works with seven different teachers in addition to other projects in her town. She is an elementary teacher in the U.S., which helped me understand why she was heavily involved with teaching. We are only required to work with four teachers and projects above and beyond that are optional, though I have yet to meet a volunteer who does not do work outside of the classroom.

Back to my visit: We were helping to teach the equivalent of a practical skills class so we taught the high school class to bake bread. I mostly observed for this lesson as I was still trying to get a feel for the class and have little experience baking bread. It was interesting to see how the gender roles played into this class because the girls were participating openly and the boys were very timid, even when they were given a simple task. I think that is probably similar in a home-ec class in the U.S., but here the boys (including the male teacher) are pretty heavily against having to do any type of cooking even though it is included in the curriculum.

Next on our list was a visit to her rural school where she teaches a multi-grade class of 4th, 5th, and 6th graders. There are only 15 students in the class when attendance is full, so it was a very different view of education in Nicaragua from what I have seen so far. We did a basic lesson on animals including two games to get the kids animated on the subject. I helped to teach the class and overall enjoyed that experience.

After having vegetarian lasagna for lunch (so yummy!) we headed out to work on the stove. Many Nicaraguans cook on an outdoor stove and develop lung or breathing problems due to smoke inhalation. Peace Corps volunteers in the Environment sector (as well as other sectors) have the opportunity attend a training in which they learn to build efficient stoves that help to trap the heat so that less wood can be burned in cooking. The stoves also include a chimney to funnel the smoke in order to avoid health problems. When used properly, these stoves have the potential to decrease wood usage, which in turn can help with the deforestation problem in Nicaragua.

The old stove

The base for the stove







The end where I'm working is where the chimney goes as well as the hole for a warming pot. On the bottom end of the picture is where the wood goes in and the little square is where the pot will sit above the fire to cook. 

The bricks are made in her town so that helps to keep the cost low. They also use a clay mud and hay for binding materials between bricks. However, because most people do not want or cannot afford to pay for hay, they acquire horse or cow manure from farmers and that is mixed with the mud to work well for a binding material. I became quite a professional at brick laying, using precise measurements and a level while the volunteer cut some bricks so that they would fit our shape. It is a large rectangular form with two places for cooking, one over the fire and another for warming. We did not have the chance to complete the top because her mold for laying the cement piece was stuck at the high school because she lent it to them and no one could find the key when we asked about it. It was still a great experience to see a project with physical results and feel that accomplishment.

I really wasn’t ready to head back to Diriamba after a week of experiencing volunteer life. Though I know I still have much to learn in terms of technical training, I am not concerned about my Spanish and I think that makes me anticipate life as a volunteer. I can see how being in a town three hours from the nearest city could feel quite isolating and lonely at times, but I am just so excited for the independent lifestyle as well as the connections I will make in the community. Because Diriamba is such a big town I have pretty much given up on making any lasting connections here. However, I am set with the tools and determination to make things work when I head to my actual community. We have also been told that many of us will head to quite rural sites, which I am ok with at this point. My mind is still very open in terms of site placements and it was encouraging to hear from multiple volunteers that whether or not you love your site from the beginning, everyone is very happy with where they are at after a while.

So now it’s back to training and a heavily scheduled lifestyle of intense activities. We’re about halfway through and time feels like it is going pretty fast, so that is definitely encouraging. It is not that I am unhappy in training so much as I think this lifestyle is extremely exhausting. I know the challenges I will face during my service are no less and may in fact be more intense, but they will indeed be different from this life with little free time and minimal freedom. On the bright side, I am very excited about what I will be doing over the next two years!

Week 6 here we come!

Note: I have omitted the volunteer’s name for her privacy; I apologize for the awkward wording.

No comments:

Post a Comment